Five surgeons at Orlando Health recently became Fellows of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) during their Convocation ceremony at the College’s virtual Clinical Congress 2021. For each surgeon who was acknowledged, the FACS designation means they’ve passed a rigorous evaluation and they’re committed to providing a high standard of surgical care.
During the five-day-long, annual ceremony held at the end of Oct. 2021 and attended by registrants from 85 countries, 2,350 surgeons from around the world received their FACS. The five physicians, who operate in various surgical specialties across the Orlando Health system, have now earned the distinguished right to use the designation of “FACS” after their names. The surgeons include:
- Emilio Alonso, MD – hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgical oncologist, Orlando Health Cancer Institute
- Omar Beidas, MD – plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Orlando Health Aesthetic, and Reconstructive Surgery Institute
- Esther Han, DO – reconstructive urologist, Orlando Health Medical Group Urology
- Michael Hanna, MD – cardiac surgeon, Orlando Health Heart & Vascular Institute
- Sabrina Pavri, MD – plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Orlando Health Aesthetic, and Reconstructive Surgery Institute
“We are very proud of the surgeons who were initiated as Fellows of the American College of Surgeons,” stated Dr. Sunil Desai, president of the Orlando Health Medical Group and a senior vice president at Orlando Health. “Their dedication and talent will continue to play a significant role in the quality of surgical care being offered to our patients.”
The American College of Surgeons is an organization of surgeons that was founded in 1913. Its goal is to raise the standards of surgical practice and to improve the quality of care for the surgical patient. The College is dedicated to the ethical and competent practice of surgery.
Orlando Health is a 3,200-bed system that includes 16 wholly-owned hospitals and emergency departments; rehabilitation services, cancer and heart institutes, imaging and laboratory services, wound care centers, physician offices for adults and pediatrics, skilled nursing facilities, an in-patient behavioral health facility, home healthcare services in partnership with LHC Group, and urgent care centers in partnership with FastMed Urgent Care.