Now that we’re in to June here in Florida, and the rains come almost daily, it means that things that are green grow in the yard quickly. Unfortunately, those include weeds.
National Weed Your Garden Day comes at a perfect time for us on June 13 as a reminder to all gardeners to take an extra few minutes and weed their gardens.
One of the best gardening tips is to stay in control of your garden. Unfortunately, weeds grow fast, very fast. With inattention, they can soon become overwhelming. Giving daily attention to your garden makes it easier to maintain. Taking care of the problem, then weeding 5 or 10 minutes each day will make the job seem bearable.
Excessive and unwanted weeds crowd out plant roots and steal the nutrients that are needed for the plants to grow nice and be healthy. Helpful tips on reducing weeds in your garden:
- Cover the soil along rows and between plants with mulch.
- Make sure to keep all weeds away from young plants.
- Plant your plants closely together to leave less room for weed growth.
- Have soil weed-free before planting.
- Make sure you do not let any of the weeds go to seed.
- Keep the edges of your yard mowed short to lessen the invasion of weeds onto your property and into your garden.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalWeedYourGardenDay
Take time to weed your garden as you celebrate today. In addition, you can celebrate by:
- Committing to regular weeding to reduce weed growth.
- Weeding after a good rainfall while the soil is soft makes it easier to clean by the roots.
- Weeding your garden with a friend to makes the job go faster and feel more like a celebration!
- Rewarding yourself with tall glass of something iced and refreshing as you admire your weed-free garden.