Chlorine is an excellent effective sanitizer, but there are several things you can do to reduce the amount of chlorine your pool needs. If you follow the recommendations below, the chlorine tabs in your pool will just have to sanitize, which means you can dial down your chlorinator and get the same result. The tabs will last longer and you will save money! A little effort can go a long way towards helping your chlorine keep your water clean for a summer full of swimming.
• Keep your water balanced- This is the most important thing you can do to prevent the need for additional chlorine. It will also help prevent cloudy water and algae breakouts, which take extra time and effort to clean up. Pinch A Penny offers FREE, seven-point water tests.
• Keep your skimmer baskets, pool floor, pump basket, and filter clean. The more foreign material you leave in your water, the more chlorine it takes to combat it. You can keep your pool clean by emptying the baskets regularly and vacuuming. Be sure to clean or backwash your filter when it reaches 10 psi over normal pressure as well.
• Run your pump enough to make sure that you are filtering out contaminants and also circulating the water to get proper sanitation. This varies by the pool, but in order to turn over most of the water, most pools need the pump to run for about 8-10 hours a day.
• Suncoast Phosphate Remover – algae use phosphates as nutrients and if you have high phosphate levels the algae can multiply and put a larger strain on your chlorine. Your filter will remove the phosphates after several hours and you can swim immediately after application.
• Suncoast All In One Algaecide – our All In One algaecide fights all types of algae so your chlorine doesn’t have to. It also has clarifying properties and is non-corrosive and non-foaming. It’s the best defense against algae blooms.
• Suncoast Natural Pool Enzyme – enzymes attack things like oils and lotions that people bring into your pool. Enzymes help eliminate them so that chlorine can focus on algae and bacteria. They work together to help your clear stay crystal clear!
As always, follow the ABCs of Pool Care!
For more tips or to get any of the products above, visit the St. Cloud Pinch A Penny Pool Patio Spa.