During the 2019 Florida Municipal Electric Association’s Energy Connections Conference & Trade Show that was held October 9th in Kissimmee, KUA was presented with the 2019 Building Strong Communities Award.
The award is presented annually to utilities that enhance the quality of life in their communities through activities which address community needs and improve the area’s social, cultural, educational and economic environment.
This year the award was given to only 14 utilities statewide.
“Public power is community power. Everything public power utilities do is driven by their community and our members work hard every day to ensure they are not only providing the most affordable, reliable power possible, but also giving back to the communities they serve,” said Amy Zubaly, FMEA Executive Director. “We commend KUA for the positive impacts they have on their local community and the work they do to enhance the quality of life of their families, friends and neighbors.”
In the past year, KUA supported nearly 100 community organizations and activities that impacted a combined 250,000 residents. Notable projects included:
- daily employee delivery of meals to homebound seniors through Meals on Wheel
- hosted six community blood drives
- funded eight college scholarships for local high school students
- distributed 70,000 free hurricane preparedness guides
- sponsored free student admission to the Osceola County Fair
- funded Osceola County Library System’s international festival
- supported Thanksgiving meals for homeless military veterans
- sponsored Kissimmee’s annual Puerto Rican cultural parade and festival
- participated in holiday toy drives for children in need
- packed 2,000 personal hygiene kits for area nonprofit organizations who serve homeless, veteran, senior citizen, and foster children populations
“Partnering with the community is a core value of our organization and part of our mission statement,” said KUA president and general manager Brian Horton. “I am thrilled that KUA has again received statewide recognition for its work in the local community.”
Congratulations Kissimmee Utility Authority for once again making a Positive Difference in Osceola County.