Orlando Health launched its vaccination program in mid-December and has administered 30,000 vaccines to team members, physicians, family members of team members and physicians over 65, first responders across the community, at-risk patients over 65, and nursing home residents that hadn’t yet received the vaccine.
“I am so proud of our physicians and team members who have proven once again that excellence can be forged in the face of adversity. The dedication, expertise, and passion they bring to Orlando Health and to our communities is deeply appreciated, said David Strong, president & CEO, Orlando Health.”
Beginning Monday, January 11, in keeping with Governor Ron DeSantis’ goal to vaccinate seniors, Orlando Health is expanding its vaccination eligibility to Orlando Health patients who are 65 or older. Due to the limited supply of vaccine, scheduling information will be communicated directly to those eligible through a randomization process. Appointments will be first come, first served.
“The data regarding the impact this virus has on the senior population vs. a younger population is indisputable,” said Jamal Hakim, MD, chief operating officer, Orlando Health. “Someone who is 85 is 1,000 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than someone who is 25. We know vaccine demand is high and we are working diligently to acquire additional supplies. We will open and announce additional appointment availability as vaccine supply becomes available.”
Also effective Monday, Orlando Health is increasing accessibility to the vaccine by moving the vaccination sites out of its hospitals and into the community. Eligible individuals may make an appointment for their first vaccine dose at any of the following six sites:
- Orlando Health Medical Pavilion – St. Cloud, 1330 Budinger Ave., St. Cloud, FL 34769
- Orlando Health Heart & Vascular Institute – Downtown Orlando, 1222 S. Orange Ave., Orlando, FL 32806
- Orlando Health Emergency Room – Lake Mary, 380 Rinehart Rd., Lake Mary, FL 32746
- Orlando Health Medical Pavilion – Summerport, 5151 Winter Garden Vineland Rd., Windermere, FL 34787
- Orlando Health – Health Central Park – Winter Garden, 411 N. Dillard St., Winter Garden, FL 34787
- Orlando Health South Lake Hospital Emergency Room – Blue Cedar, 22316 US Highway 27, Leesburg, FL 34748