Tax-Free Holidays are right around the corner for Floridians thanks to the Florida Senate who passed House Bill 7123, Taxation on May 3, 2019. The legislation will deliver broad-based tax relief to families and businesses across the state, focusing on sales tax holidays that offer a tax savings for Florida families preparing for the upcoming 2019 Hurricane Season and the 2019-2020 school year, as well as several tax relief benefits related to hurricane response and recovery. In total, the bill provides approximately $121 million in tax relief.
The 2019 Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday is a seven-day “disaster preparedness” sales tax holiday from May 31 to June 6, 2019, for disaster preparedness supplies. The exemption of sale tax on hurricane supplies include:
- Portable self-powered light sources, like flashlights, selling for $20 or less
- Portable self-powered radios, including two-way radios or weather-band radios, selling for $50 or less
- Tarps, other waterproof sheets, ground anchors or ties, also for $50 or less
- Gas or diesel fuel tanks that are sold for $25 or less
- AA, AAA, C, D, 6-volt or 9-volt batteries sold for $30 or less (car and boat batteries are excluded)
- Non-electric coolers up to $30
- Portable generators sold for $750 or less
Make your list of supplies needed for this hurricane season and don’t miss out on the savings during the 2019 Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday. Be smart and get prepared!