Florida’s average price for a gallon of regular unleaded has creeped back to its highest price since August 2022, $3.84 per gallon. Osceola County drivers are paying the same price as the national average at $3.87.
“Last week, gasoline futures prices rebounded to the same levels that led to the 2023-highs we saw earlier this month. Since it can sometimes take a week or two before changes in the futures market hits the retail side, drivers could see gas prices move higher,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group.
According to AAA, gasoline futures rose as a number of refiners continue to grapple with hot weather, reducing petroleum output at a time when the country is seeing a late summer demand surge. Extreme heat can cause complications for refiners in the form of equipment failures, in addition to regional electrical outages and severe weather.
“It’s not uncommon to see gas prices fluctuate during the summer months,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “The long term forecast is unclear, as hurricane season remains a major wild card. Gas prices could spike if a hurricane threatens refineries along the Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi coastlines.”
Here are a few ways to save on gasoline:
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Pay with cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle. Every 100 pounds taken out of the vehicle improves fuel economy by 1-2 percent.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
AAA Resources for Drivers
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 30 cents per gallon on their first fill-up and 5 cents per gallon each additional trip to the pump. Click here for more information.
- Get a tune-up. Ensure your vehicle is properly maintained to optimize its fuel economy. Visit AAA.com/AutoRepair to find a certified repair shop.
- Find the lowest gas prices in your area by using the free AAA mobile app.
- Determine anticipated fuel costs for your trip by using the AAA’s Gas Cost Calculator.