The Procter & Gamble Company has voluntarily recalled all lots of specific Old Spice and Secret aerosol spray antiperspirant products because of a cancer-causing chemical. The aerosol antiperspirants were sold in stores nationwide and online.
The FDA said the products may have benzene, which is known to lead to blood cancers and other blood disorders. There have been no reports of adverse effects from the products.
The affected products are used as antiperspirant spray products and are packaged in aerosol cans. See below for Product names and UPC codes and further descriptions.
See the table below for Product names and UPC codes and images for further descriptions. We are recalling all lots with expiry through September 2023 of the below products:
- 012044001912 Old Spice High Endurance AP Spray Pure Sport 12/6oz
- 012044044759 Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Stronger Swagger 3.8oz
- 037000729747 Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Pure Sport Plus 12/3.8oz
- 037000730347 Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Stronger Swagger 12/3.8oz
- 037000749479 Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Ult Captain 12/3.8oz
- 037000695714 Old Spice Below Deck Powder Spray Unscented 12/4.9oz
- 037000695707 Old Spice Below Deck Powder Spray Fresh Air 12/4.9oz
- 037000586906 Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh Twin Pack
- 037000711087 Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh 12/6OZ
- 037000711094 Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh 12/4OZ
- 037000723721 Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Waterlily 3.8oz
- 037000729860 Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Lavender 12/3.8oz
- 037000729914 Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Water Lily 12/3.8oz
- 037000729921 Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Light Essentials 12/3.8oz
- 037000798842 Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Rose 12/3.8oz037000747642 Secret Outlast Inv Spray Completely Clean 12/3.8oz
- 037000747727 Secret Outlast Inv Spray Protecting Powder 12/3.8oz
- 012044048535 Old Spice Pure Sport 2021 Gift Set
All other Old Spice and Secret products are not impacted by this issue and may continue to be used as intended. This represents the vast majority of our products, including body spray products, solid sticks, soft solids, and gel antiperspirants, and deodorant products.
The Procter & Gamble Company has notified its retailers to remove products from shelves. Old Spice and Secret will also offer reimbursement for consumers who have purchased products impacted by this recall. Consumers should stop using and appropriately discard the affected aerosol spray products.
Consumers with questions regarding this recall can seek more information via the Consumer Care team at 888-339-7689 from Monday – Friday from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm EST. Consumers can also visit www.oldspice.com