As temperatures in Osceola County and throughout Central Florida are projected to once again cool down later Sunday and bring the high thirties and low forties Monday morning, a community encouragement that Kissimmee Utility Authority shared during a late November 2018 cold snap about keeping safety in mind when using portable electric space heaters, once again becomes very relevant. Here’s what KUA shared with its customers and the community:

Space heaters can be a convenient source of supplemental heat for your home in cold weather, but they also increase the risk of fire and electric shock if not used properly. Heating equipment is the second-leading cause of U.S. home fires and the third-leading cause of home fire deaths, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Here are six tips for keeping your home safe and warm when it’s cold outside:

  • Inspect heaters for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections before each use. If frayed, worn or damaged, do not use the heater.
  • Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire. Do not plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
  • Proper placement of space heaters is critical. Heaters must be kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing and rugs.
  • Locate space heaters out of high traffic areas and doorways where they may pose a tripping hazard.
  • Place space heaters on level, flat surfaces. Never place heaters on cabinets, tables, furniture, or carpet, which can overheat and start a fire.
  • Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you’re leaving a room or going to sleep, and don’t let pets or children play too close to a space heater.

We sincerely thank Kissimmee Utility Authority for being so focused on public safety, and for being such an amazing Community Business Partner with Positively Osceola.

For more information, visit