The chance that a large and complex area of low pressure will develop near the Yucatan Peninsula and the northwestern Caribbean Sea in a couple of days, and then begin to move away for the Yukatan has increased, according to the National Hurricane Center.

The system now has a 30% chance of tropical development in the next two days, and a 70% chance of developing over the next 5 days,  but forecasters are still unsure whether it will become a tropical storm or become a named storm.

Regardless of development, locally heavy rainfall is likely across southern Florida, and the Florida Keys by the end of the week.